Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Procrastination Pork

I know I haven't posted in weeks...but I'm still around. I haven't had much to say, haven't had any great revelations and haven't had too many profound thoughts. I think my brain is waterlogged from all the lousy, crappy, wet, rainy, foggy, cold weather we've had this spring. I have mushrooms and moss growing on my cranium! Maybe I've just been procrastinating until inspiration struck. So far, not so much inspiration.

I did create a new recipe this weekend I wanted to share. It was really tasty and I want to get it committed to "paper" before I forget it.


Spicy Marmalade Glazed Bacon-Wrapped Pork Medallions

2 1# pork tenderloins
Smoked Bacon--you'll need 6-8 strips
2-3 T Olive oil
Kosher Salt
Fresh Cracked Pepper
Garlic Powder

You will need 2-3 long bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 10-15 minutes

Marmalade Glaze
1/2 c. orange marmalade
1 T. Sriracha hot sauce
1/4 t. dried thyme or 1/2 t. fresh thyme

Clean the pork tenderloin by removing the tough silver skin and any visible fat.  Plan on 2 medallions per person. Starting at the thick end of the tenderloin, cut medallions 2 1/2 - 3 inches thick. You will not use the tips--freeze those for another use.  I ended up with 8 thick medallions. Press the medallions to flatten to match the width of the bacon. Wrap bacon around the outside of each medallion, overlapping the ends a little and then thread three medallions (bacon seams inside so they touch the next medallion) on each skewer. This will make turning them easier and keeps the bacon from flopping off.

Drizzle each side lightly with olive oil and sprinkle one side with kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper and a sprinkle of garlic powder. Set aside and allow to sit at room temperature about 30 minutes to temper the pork.

Prepare your grill--I use charcoal and went for medium direct heat. Clean the grill grates very well so your pork doesn't stick.

In a small bowl combine the marmalade glaze ingredients.

When your grill is ready, put the pork medallion skewers on the grill and cover. Allow to cook 3-5 minutes, then turn one rotation so that the bacon edges are grill-side down. Cover, allow to cook 3-5 minutes. Turn another one rotation so that the opposite flat side is down, cover and cook another 3-5 minutes. Turn one last time so the opposite bacon side is grill-down.  Cover and cook another 3-5 minutes. (Depending on your grill, please adjust this. You want your pork to be about 140 degrees at this point.)

After grilling on all four sides, return to the first flat side down and brush half the glaze on your pork and turn it, then brush glaze on the top. Cover and cook another 3-5 minutes, then turn one last time and give it 2 minutes to brown up the glaze. Your final pork temp in the center of the thickest piece should be 155 degrees.

Remove from grill and let rest 5 minutes before serving. 

These have a delicious sweet-salty-spicy mix that is a perfect compliment to the very mild pork.

I served these with grilled vegetables; asparagus, red bell pepper, broccoli, zucchini and lightly steamed baby Yukon golds that had all been tossed with olive oil, cracked pepper, a dusting of kosher salt and a light sprinkle of lemon pepper. I have a grill basket, so I put the veggies in the basket, cover it with foil (prevents them from drying out) and grilled them along with the pork. They were perfect!




No comments:

Post a Comment