Friday, January 11, 2013

Friday Frolic

I can't believe Friday is already here! My hopes of posting near daily have been thwarted at every turn.  My desk is a pile of random flotsam from the week--bills that need paying, reports that need finishing, an empty plate from a breakfast-snarfed cake and a few other remnants and detritus.

 
 
 
 
It's really foggy and gloomy out today. It rained yesterday and that was rather odd. It's January in Minnesota! It's supposed to be snot-freezingly cold with mountains of snow. Instead, we have a few inches of sloppy grey used-to-be snow piled up, lots of puddles and fog.  We watched some show on HGTV last night about buying homes in Hawaii and it looked very very appealing. You get to a certain age where snow and snow and cold and wind and snow and sleet and snow and cold and ice fog and snow and my-God is winter ever going to be over snow loses its appeal. Winter in my neck of the woods generally starts in mid-October and we don't see spring til mid-April or May depending on how much snow we have. Last year was unusually warm and dry and our lilacs bloomed in late April which was crazy early. In the summer time, twilight is near 10pm, but this time of year, it's dark out by 5:15. I crave warm sunlight. I crave the smell of freshly-mown grass and the sound of crickets and frogs. I want to grill out. I want to be awake past 9:00 and not feel like a hibernating bear. There are a lot of people here who really love winter and take full advantage of snow--skiing, boarding, hockey, ice fishing, snow shoeing, snowmobiling...but I like to take full advantage of my couch, fireplace, warm blankie and a nap.
 
 
Anyhow, I'll share a few photos from our big shindig last night. I completely forgot to take pictures of the finished food products-I was too busy running around with last minute details.

The giant dessert buffet with a huge gourmet cheese platter, fresh fruits, Cab Zin fondue and delicious homemade desserts.
 
 

Black Forest Fudge Cake. O M G
Raspberry Tiramisu
A melon swan.
That's a mouse on the cheese. Hard-boiled peeled egg. cloves for eyes and nose, thin apple slices for ears and a chive tail. He's adorable!
Our pretty place settings. The theme was Winter Ice Blue Balls Candlelight.
Garnishes. Cukes and Summer Squash stuffed
with paprika chive cream cheese
with lavender fronds.
 
Valiant soldiers waiting patiently to give their all so that others might party.
He wanted to know why I didn't bring him any steak.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment